Today i woke up in the worst mood ever. I did not sleep well and I just knew today was going to be one of those days… ugh… que the inconveniences right? Do you ever just have the worst nights sleep and then you wake up feeling so blah and just not with it?
There really is something to that waking up on the wrong side of the bed stuff; believe me I know and today was one of those days. Everything made me angry today, everyone made me mad; for all intensive purposes I was ready to fight people (not literally lol). I took my medication a little later then usual and it just threw my whole mood off even further. It’s hard when you have a rough day like this to bring it back, it’s hard not to fall further and further down the rabbit hole. But with anything and mental illnesses especially, if you just give in or give up then they get worse. The symptoms get worse, the feelings get worse or more intense, so giving up is the last thing you actually want to do. Giving up is never and has never been option.
No matter how close you get to the edge you can always pull yourself out. I was so angry today, and I had to sit there and ask myself why? what is causing all this anger? what is making me so mad and unhappy today? Did something happen? No… The only thing that had changed was me not sleeping well the night before. Its funny how something like that throws you off. But something small like that is something major for someone with Bipolar disorder or another mental illness and you have to know how to handle it. Self care is huge and there are 10 easy steps to take to help you enhance your mental health on days you are struggling just to simply make it through a half hour of your day.
10 Things to Do to Enhance Your Mental Health on those Tough Days:
- Take a walk outside. Make sure to walk slowly and notice all the beautiful and positive things surrounding you
- Take 10 slow deep breaths. Remember in through your nose out through your mouth
- Jog in place, do some small exercises because movement helps stimulate your brain and your body
- Create a daily goal for yourself. What steps do you need to accomplish this goal today?
- Identify those negative thoughts and feelings you are having. Once you identify them, replace them with more positive ones
- Color or draw
- Acknowledge what you are going through. It is okay to be honest about what’s going on just do not give in or let those emotions take complete control of you
- Meditate. You would be surprised how helpful just 5 minutes of clearing and refocusing your mind and thoughts can be
- Tell yourself you are awesome and you are doing a great job; because honestly you are and its about the small wins
- Do one thing that you love each day; no matter how big or small make sure to do one thing that you love daily
Remember to give yourself permission on tough days to unplug and regroup. You can’t be there for anyone else if you don’t take care of your mental health first. Bad days don’t last forever, they always get better; Remember even after rain and clouds of gray comes sunshine, rainbows and lots of smiles.